Folly Flashback — December 2019

Folly Flashback — December 2019

Folly Snow Angel The two-day snowfall in December 1989 wasn’t a complete blessing. Many Folly Beach residents had been without gas service since Hugo (and many collapsed homes remained eerily in place). Pipes froze and burst, leaving some residents with a chilly and...

Salt Marsh Diaries — December 2019

Stormy Skies a Good Omen on your Wedding Day As I motored the Pluffmudder away from the slip, I glanced at the radar screen — scattered, intense storm cells dotted landscape. These separate cells were different than a typical expanding singular-blob summer afternoon...

Outstanding In His Field — December 2019

Winterizing Your Landscape Hello Friends and neighbors! I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and didn’t drive each other crazy during the process. Black Friday? My car stays in the driveway, sorry consumerism. Anyways, I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately...
Folly Flashback — November 2019

Folly Flashback — November 2019

The Atlantic House The Atlantic House restaurant and adjacent OTO (Over the Ocean) bar were favorite local hangouts before Hurricane Hugo swept them into the ocean. Owner Eddie Taylor worked hard to keep the building standing, even earning a few naysayers for forgoing...
Salt Marsh Diaries — November 2019

Salt Marsh Diaries — November 2019

Daryl (the dolphin) sits on a 4×4 post at 103 E. Cooper, staring north. Local artist Jane Word released Daryl from the middle of a huge Styrofoam block. Then she made Daryl strong and weather-proof with steel mesh and concrete. As with wild dolphins, Daryl’s...

Outstanding in his Field — November 2019

Don’t Procrastinate! Hello friends! In my constant quest for self improvement I’ve really tried lately to pin down things that cause me anxiety. One of the things I keep coming back to is when I (or others,) do things last second and am not prepared. Yes, spontaneity...

Pin It on Pinterest