Don’t Call It a Comeback

Don’t Call It a Comeback

Evinrude’s new two-stroke isn’t your granddad’s smoky engine by Stratton Lawrence | Special to The Current How many drinks does it take for me to consider buying an American-made two-stroke engine? The answer—to change my opinion on the prospect, at least—is an open...
Folly Flashback — July 2019

Folly Flashback — July 2019

It’s Half Rubber Season Bubbie Barnett returned to Folly with his young wife for a happy trip in 1953. He’s seen here playing ball in the yard. The game of half rubber developed around Charleston during the early 20th century, including on Folly Beach....
Saltmarsh Diaries — July 2019

Saltmarsh Diaries — July 2019

A Trip Down Memory Lane Alone on the boat at Morris Island, I peered into the makeshift 5-gallon bucket aquarium. There I found a hermit crab, spilling out of its undersized mobile home, a moon snail shell. A month later, driving down I-95 to Aunt Aida’s surprise...

Outstanding in his Field — July 2019

Take Pause In music it’s often said that the notes are not always important as the time between two notes. A rest in music can signal change and a different dynamic. At the end of each day we take rest so that we can rise fresh in the morning and do it all over again....
Folly Fishing Report — July 2019

Folly Fishing Report — July 2019

Beat the Heat Get on the water early morning or late afternoon for best results While the weather has been quite hot, it hasn’t slowed the fishing down. Fishermen can try starting early in the morning where they can find fish chasing bait on the surface as well as...
Food in the Water,  Food in the Mud

Food in the Water, Food in the Mud

By the time the English established Charles Town in 1670, the Native Americans living around Folly Beach had already experienced a century of interaction (and decimation) with Spanish and French explorers. The Bohicket tribe — a subgroup of the Cusabo, who also...

Pin It on Pinterest