Local couple makes a simple trek around the island a fun game

Local couple makes a simple trek around the island a fun game

Summertime Beach Bingo by Jeff Irvan | Special to The Current It’s 6:45 a.m. on a summertime Saturday as I spray silicone on Crusty Rusty’s chain. I’m excited for this particular day because it’s change-over day in the heart of the high rental season. With my bingo...
Folly’s Bead Weaver

Folly’s Bead Weaver

Folly’s Bead Weaver Jewelry artist Caroline Hatchell celebrates the Harvest Moon with special show by Miranda Steadman A Child of the Moon, local jewelry maker Caroline Hatchell says she feels inspired while watching the rise of the full moon over Folly Beach. So it’s...
Six rehabilitated sea turtles released at Folly Beach County Park

Six rehabilitated sea turtles released at Folly Beach County Park

Heading Back Home from Staff Reports What started off as a calm, picturesque morning at Folly Beach County Park, turned into a spirited celebration as the South Carolina Aquarium Sea Turtle Care Center released six rehabilitated sea turtles into the Atlantic Ocean....
Salt Marsh Diaries — August 2021

Salt Marsh Diaries — August 2021

Giving Plastic the Boot Going plastic-free may be impossible, but we should try to reduce our use of it much as we can Every single time I walk the beach, I find plastic. I wish shark vertebra were so easy to find. I pick up plastic grocery bags, single-use water...
Salt Marsh Diaries — March 2020

Salt Marsh Diaries — March 2020

A Tangled Web Driving through the morning fog, back onto Folly Island a few Sundays ago, I noticed hundreds of ghost-like orbs distributed among the top third of the spartina grass. These orbs were spider webs. Tiny water beads from the fog had condensed on existing...

Outstanding In His Field — March 2020

Tending The Flock Hello Friends, Here it is March already and there’s so much to get done before it really warms up. Don’t let it overwhelm you though. Rather than panic about all your upcoming obligations, (socially or at work,) try, “Tending the flock.” By this I...

Pin It on Pinterest