All Washed Up

All Washed Up

John awoke abruptly to the sound of fiberglass splintering against granite as his boat pounded across the rock groin. Soon he and his 32-foot sailboat washed ashore. A friend messaged, wondering if my boat had washed up on the beach. Standing in Spartina’s main salon,...
Wide Beaches on the West Side

Wide Beaches on the West Side

It was less than a decade ago The wide beaches seen in this May 2010 photograph along the west end of Folly Beach, are reliant on our intervention to persist. In August 2011, high swells from Hurricane Irene washed completely over the county park at the island’s...

Folly Flashback

Farewell to Folly’s Dance Pier On Nov. 2, 1977, Folly’s massive dance pier burned and fell into the ocean. “There is no doubt in my mind that it was arson,” says Wallace Benson, the city’s chief of police at the time. Benson’s suspicions stem from a nearby resident...

Folly Faces: Bonne Isenhour

I first met Bonne Isenhour about a decade ago when I had the chanced to sit next to her at the Crab Shack, and as I recall we became fast friends and by a few drinks we were solving all the world’s problems. Isenhour is always a pleasure to talk to, and you may have...

Saltmarsh Diaries

My Folly Comfort Zone It’s a crazy world out there, sometimes you just need to get to your happy place Mostly, I hated the total absence of sunlight. I also didn’t care for the separation from home. Time under the water aboard a submarine was little more than a...

November Fishing Report

By Captain Geoff Bennett | Charleston Charter Fishing Fishing in October was fantastic and we can expect November to be just as good, if not better!  Chilly nights remind redfish and trout that they had better eat now or it will be a long few months ahead. Per usual,...

Pin It on Pinterest